1 Cup Toor dal
2 Radish (mullangi)
1 tsp Urud dal
½ tsp mustard
½ tsp Jeera
¼ tsp Asafoetida
1 Tomato, finely chopped
5-6 small Onions, finely chopped
2 tsp Tamarind paste
2 tsp Sambar powder
2 tsp Chilly powder
A pinch of turmeric
Few curry leaves
2 tsp finely chopped Coriander leaves
2 tsp oil
Water as required
1. Pressure cook toor dal along with turmeric and asafoetida for 10 minutes and keep it aside.
2. Peel the skin and slice them into small pieces.
3. Cook mullangi along with little salt and sambar powder till it becomes soft.
4. Once the mullangi got cooked add toor dal, mix well and cook for 5 minutes.
5. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard, urud dal, jeera, curry leaves and saute for a minute.
6. Add onion and saute till the onion becomes golden brown.
7. Add tomato, chilly powder and saute for 2-3 minutes.
8. Add this to mullangi dal mixture and mix well.
9. Finally add tamarind paste and cook for 5 minutes.
10. Garnish mullangi sambar with coriander leaves and serve hot with rice/ idly.
Sunday, October 10, 2010
Mullangi Sambar (Radish Sambar)