I usually make vazhathandu kootu frequently because my mom used to say it helps in dissolving kidney stones. Better to cook at least once in a month and it is very good for health.
1 medium size plantain stem
½ cup grated coconut
½ cup channa dal
3-4 Green Chilly
1 tsp Jeera (cumin seed)
1 Onion, finely chopped
1 tsp Mustard
1 tsp Urud Dal
¼ -½ cup Water
Few Curry leaves
1 tsp Oil
1. Pressure cook channa dal and keep it aside.
2. Remove the outer bark of plantain stem and chop them finely without any lengthy fibers.
3. Put the chopped plantain stem into water with little salt to avoid discoloring.
4. Grind coconut, green chilly and cumin together into a fine paste by adding little water in the mixer.
5. Cover and cook the chopped plantain stem on medium heat till the water is completely evaporated.
6. Mean while heat oil in a pan, add mustard and urud dal.
7. Once the mustard starts to splutter, add onion and curry leaves.
8. Saute till the onion becomes golden brown.
9. Add the cooked plantain stem, ground paste and salt.
10. Mix well and cook it on low flame for 4-5 minutes (sprinkle little water if necessary).
11. Add cooked channa dal, mix well and cook for 2 minutes.
12. Serve hot as a dish with rice.
Cleaning and cutting plantain stem takes little time but it is easy
a. First remove the outer bark
b. Cut them into small round pieces and remove the fibers (thread like portions).
c. Then chop them into small pieces.
d. It is always better to put the chopped plantain stem in water with salt or in buttermilk to avoid discoloring.