Powered By Blogger

Search This Blog

Friday, January 23, 2009

Rasam

I like to try different recipes but before my marriage I never tried cooking. When I got married I used to call my mom daily in the morning to ask her different recipes and cook. I started cooking tasty dishes even though I never cooked before but I felt preparing rasam is very difficult. My mom-in-law used to keep very tasty rasam compared to my mother. So I learnt to prepare rasam from my mom-in-law. When my sisters come to my house they usually ask me to prepare rasam. You can also try this recipe, it will taste good compared to the usual rasam….

Ingredients:
3 Large Tomatoes

¼ cup Toor dal
2 tsp Cumin seed
1-1½ tsp Pepper
5 Garlic cloves
¼ tsp Asafoetida
¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
3 Red chilly (dry)
2 cups of water
½ tsp Mustard
1 tsp Urad Dal
1 tsp Oil
2 tsp Tamarind paste (more or less according to the taste)
Salt

Preparation:
1. Pressure cook Toor dal with turmeric powder and keep it aside.
2. Boil tomatoes with 2 cups water for 10 minutes.
3. Allow it to cool and remove the outer skin.
4. Mash the tomatoes with your hand and remove the pulp and keep it aside.
5. Grind cumin, pepper and garlic coarsely without adding water.
6. Add the cooked toor dal and ground powder to the mashed tomatoes and mix well.
7. Add tamarind paste, asafoetida and bring it to boil.
8. Once it started boiling reduce the flame,add coriander leaves and cook it on low flame for 5 minutes.
9. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard and urud dal.
10.Once the mustard starts to splutter add red chilly ,curry leaves and saute for few seconds and add it to the rasam and mix well.
11. Rasam is ready to be served with rice.


Note:
Use Apple thakkali for this rasam instead of nattu thakkali it will taste good.

3 comments:

Nithya said...

I am going to try this rasam tomoroow..

I read through some of your recipes. Going to try one by one.. and will surely post my comments here :)

Ani said...

thanks for ur comment....there are two varieties of tomato we get here...nattu thakkali and apple thakkali you have to use Apple thakkali(large size)....If u use nattu thakkali that won't tsate tat good....try and please do post ur comment....

Akila said...

Came out well but yet to get the same taste like ur preparation.. Hope i will get tht next time :)