Moore Kolambu is one of my favorite recipes. Moore Kolambu is a mildly flavored recipe that can be served with plain rice. For making Moore kolambu you can use vegetables like brinjal, ash gourd, ladies finger etc...I prefer ash gourd compared to other vegetables because i like it more.
1 Cup Curd
250g Ash gourd
½ Cup grated coconut
3-4 Green chilly
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
1 tsp Cumin seed
½ tsp Mustard
1 tsp Urud dal
1 tsp Oil
Few Curry leaves
1. Remove the skin from ash gourd and cut them into medium size pieces.
2. Boil water in a vessel along with little salt.
3. Add ash gourd and cook for 5 minutes (don’t overcook it).
4. Drain the water and keep it aside.
5. Grind coconut, cumin seeds, green chillies to a fine paste by adding a little water.
6. Beat the curd and add a cup of water.
7. Mix the ground paste to the buttermilk along with turmeric powder and salt.
8. Add the cooked ash gourd to the buttermilk mixture and bring it to a boil.
9. Remove from fire immediately once it is boiled otherwise it will curdle.
10. Heat oil in a pan, add urud dal, mustard and curry leaves.
11. Once the mustard starts to splutter, add this to the moore kolambu and mix well.
12. Moore kolambu is ready to be served with rice.
If you like use vegetables like brinjal, ladies finger instead of ash gourd then you have to shallow fry the vegetable and add to the buttermilk mixture.