2 cup freshly grated coconut (make sure there are no brown bits)
1- 1½ cup sugar
1/2 cup water
A pinch of cardamom powder
A pinch of kesari color (optional)
2 tsp ghee
1. Roast grated coconut on low flame for 2-3 minutes (color should not change) and keep it aside.
2. In a vessel mix sugar and water on a low flame and bring it to boil.
3. Skim of any scum that rises on the top.
4. Boil the sugar syrup till it becomes thick and sticky to touch.
5. Add the coconut, cardamom powder, kesari color and keep stirring on a low flame till mixture is thick and frothy.
6. Grease the tray with ghee and transfer the coconut mixture and flatten the surface evenly.
7. Allow it to cool and cut it into squares.