300g mutton (cut it into medium pieces)
600 g basmati rice, washed, drained and soaked for half an hour before cooking
2-3 onion, thinly sliced
2-3 tomato, finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp(s) garlic paste
1 1/2 tsp(s) ginger paste
4-5 tsp ghee/oil
2 cinnamon sticks
2 green cardamoms
2 bay leaves
2 green chilly, slit
3 tsp red chili powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
Few fresh mint leaves
Bunch of fresh coriander leaves
1. Heat ghee/oil in a heavy bottom vessel add cinnamon sticks, clove, cardamoms, bay leaf and saute for few seconds.
2. Add green chilly and onion and fry till onion become light brown colour
3. Add tomatoes and fry for sometime
4. Add the washed mutton, Salt, chilly Powder, turmeric powder, and ginger garlic paste
5. Saute until the mutton gives out its own juices.
6. Add little water and simmer until the mutton is cooked.
7. Add finely chopped coriander and mint leaves.
8. In a separate pot, parboil rice until the grains are half cooked.
9. Strain the rice. keep it aside
10. Spread out the mutton mixture in a heavy bottom pan.
11. Spread the rice on top of mixture. Again spread the mutton mixture.
12. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid.
13. Cook on low flame for 15-20 minutes.
14. Serve hot with raita.