This is a famous hyderabadi vegetarian dish. Hyderabadi recipes are famous for their unique taste, use of roasted spices, and a spicy flavor.
250g Brinjal (Aubergines)
2 Onions, cut into small pieces
A small piece of ginger
5 Garlic cloves
1 tsp Coriander seed
1½ tsp white sesame seed
¼ cup Peanuts
½ tsp Cumin seed
1 tsp Poppy seed
2 tsp grated coconut
¼ tsp Fenugreek seed
¼ tsp Turmeric powder
4 Red Chilly
1 tsp Chilly Powder
1 tsp Jaggery
Few curry leaves
3-4 tsp Oil
1. Soak tamarind in 1/2 cup of warm water. Mash and sieve tamarind to get tamarind water. Discard the residue and keep it aside.
2. Wash and cut the brinjals (crosswise from one side) so that they are open on the top but not fully cut into pieces.
3. Dry roast coriander seed, Cumin seed, Poppy seed, Red Chilly, Peanuts, sesame seed, grated coconut, Fenugreek seed together on medium flame.
4. Roast onion with little oil till it becomes soft and golden brown.
5. Grind together onion, roasted spices, ginger, garlic, turmeric powder, chilly powder and jaggery in to a fine paste by adding tamarind water.
6. Stuff the brinjal with the ground spices and keep the remaining ground spices aside.
7. Heat oil in a kadai, add curry leaves and the stuffed brinjals.
8. Fry for 10 minutes and then add the reserved ground spices and mix well.
9. Cover and cook it on low flame for 5 minutes.
10. Add little water and cook till the brinjals are completely cooked and oil comes to the surface.