1 cup Toor Dal
1/2 cup Channa Dal
5 tsp Grated coconut
10 small onions
2 tsp Sambar Powder
1-2 tsp Chilly Powder
1/2 tsp Mustard
1 tsp Urud Dal
Few curry leaves
2-3 tsp tamarind extract
2 tsp oil
1. Soak toor dal and channa dal together for an hour.
2. Drain the water and grind it into a coarse paste without adding water.
3. Make small lemons sized balls from the mixture and steam them in idli plates.
4. Grind coconut, half tomato, 5 small onion and sambar powder together to a fine paste.
5. Chop the remaining onion and tomatoes.
6. Heat oil in a kadai, add mustard and urud dal.
7. Once the mustard starts to splutter add onion and saute till the onion becomes golden brown.
8. Add tomatoes and saute for 2-3 minutes.
9. Add the ground paste, chilly powder, salt and saute for a minute.
10. Add water along with the tamarind extract and bring it to boil.
11. Add the steamed dal balls and cover and cook it on low flame for 10 minutes.
12. Paruppu Urundai Kuzhambu is ready to serve.